Metro suspends service along Blue, Yellow lines after train derailment

A WMATA spokesperson said there were no injuries among the 50 riders on board at the time.
WMATA+is+providing+shuttle+service+between+closed+Metro+stops+due+to+the+derailment.+
WMATA is providing shuttle service between closed Metro stops due to the derailment.

Updated: Sept. 29, 2023, at 5:56 p.m.

The Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority suspended Metro service on the Blue and Yellow lines between the Potomac Yard and Ronald Reagan National Airport Friday after a train, which reportedly hit an object on the tracks, derailed.

WMATA spokesperson Jordan Pascale said officials received reports of a disabled train at National Airport around 10:45 a.m. He said there were no injuries among the roughly 50 riders on board at the time, who officials transferred via shuttle to another train.

Shuttle buses are operating between the two stations to connect to additional services, per a WMATA tweet. Trains are operating in two segments between the Franconia/Huntington and Potomac Yard stations and Largo/Mt Vernon Square between the airport, according to the tweet.

The Washington Metrorail Safety Commission – which oversees and enforces safety practices on the Metro –  said they were responding to the incident to gather more information.

A Blue Line 7000-series train derailed between Rosslyn and Pentagon in October 2021, suspending Metro service for two days near the stations. Officials pulled all 7000-series trains after the derailment, leading the WMSC to launch a contentious monthslong review of the cars’ safety.

All trains were allowed in circulation starting in October 2022 after approval from WMSC.

This story has been updated to include the following:

The Hatchet added a Metro video and announcement that the derailed train hit an object on the tracks.