GW ‘monitoring’ impact of potential government shutdown

Officials said financial aid packages will not be affected.
File photo by Allison Robbert | Staff Photographer

GW will “operate normally” if the government shuts down, officials said Friday.

Officials said in an email to community members that they are monitoring a federal spending bill that if not passed by Sept. 30, will trigger a partial shutdown of the federal government. The email states that the shutdown will not affect students’ financial aid but may delay “military-affiliated” students’ education and tuition assistance packages, which are offered through the Department of Veterans Affairs and the Department of Defense.

In response to hiccups related to the shutdown, GW’s Office of Military and Veteran Services will contact students and can provide “emergency funding,” the email states.

“In the event of a government shutdown, other impacts to the University community would vary depending on the length of a shutdown,” the email states. “The University will monitor and continue to provide updates in the coming days.”

The government will continue “essential” services in the case of a shutdown, including the postal service, some social security benefits and the IRS. Government employees considered essential would also keep working but would not be paid during the shutdown. Employees considered “non-essential” could be furloughed and would not work or be paid.

During the 2018-19 shutdown, which lasted 35 days, students reported they were out of work at their government internships.

A shutdown would also cause the closure of federal museums in the D.C. area. A near-shutdown in 2021 nearly disrupted the fall Commencement meant to honor the Classes of 2020 and 2021, but lawmakers reached a funding deal in time to prevent a shutdown.