GW steams through Stony Brook, bolstering record in out-of-conference play

File Photo by Auden Yurman | Senior Photo Editor
The win propels the start of the Revs’ season, building on their victory over Iona and ties against Old Dominion and Manhattan.

The Revolutionaries (2-0-2) defeated the Stony Brook Seawolves 3-1 on Tuesday.

The Revolutionaries continued out-of-conference play and defeated the Seawolves (1-3-0) at home after scoring back-to-back goals less than one-third of the way into the game. The win propels the start of the Revs’ season, building on their victory over Iona and ties against Old Dominion and Manhattan.

Both teams came into the game with high energy, but GW quickly took over. Graduate midfielder Nacho Alastuey buried a ball in the back of the net in the 22nd minute off an assist from graduate midfielder William Turner, putting the Revs up 1-0.

After the Seawolves kick off following the score, freshman forward George Vincent nimbly stole the ball from Stony Brook and pushed the ball up the field to Turner, who whipped the ball into the net for GW’s second goal in less than 30 seconds.

Head Coach Craig Jones made two quick substitutions in the 18th minute, freshman midfielder Nico Medina for Turner and senior midfielder Carter Humm for senior midfielder Demi Amigun.

He felt that his team excelled in what they had practiced as the team connected on open passes and attacked the ball on both ends of the field.

Both teams entered the game aggressive, too. Stony Brook freshman midfielder Lorenzo Selini notched a yellow card in the 13th minute while graduate midfielder Wilber Gomez received a yellow in the 90th minute. On GW’s end, graduate midfielder and forward Rose Tenne earned a yellow card in the 56th minute and Turner received a yellow card in the 68th minute for tackling an opposing player. In total, the Revolutionaries and the Seawolves had two yellow cards, respectively.

Trying to claw their way out of the deficit, the Seawolves responded in the 38th minute after sophomore forward Jonas Bickus’ corner kick allowed senior forward Olsen Alluc to score.

Going into the half, GW led the match 2-1.

At the 59-minute mark, a corner kick led to a smooth pass from GW graduate midfielder Conor Stephens to freshman defender Colin Prendergast, who scored, making the score 3-1 and sealing the game.

“Colin [Prendergast] timed it perfectly, so the way he was playing, he’s deserved that,” Jones said.

Prendergast, who has been a starter for the Revs this season, and Alastuey both notched their first goals for the Revs.

“We came back, had the right mentality, worked hard, and picked it up in the second half,” Prendergast said.

Turner, whose goal and assist marked his best performance so far this season, said he could consistently track opposing players and put up a strong defensive effort. He said he’s looking forward to winning more games at home after winning the match on Tuesday.

“We don’t want to get beat here,” Turner said. “We want to win here every game so it’s not about not losing. We want to win every game here.”

The Revolutionaries will play Friday at 10 p.m. against San Diego State at the SDSU Sports Deck.