What changed on campus over the summer? A quick rundown

Officials renovated Guthridge and Dakota halls, but stayed quiet on when they plan to open the relocated Campus Store this fall.
Jennifer Igbonoba | Staff Photographer
University officials constructed fried chicken shop Absurd Bird as the newest GWorld vendor to join the student center, along with Indian fast casual spot Chaat House.

Officials renovated at least four buildings on campus over the summer, headlined by new dining vendors in the University Student Center and District House. 

University spokesperson Julia Metjian said Facilities Planning, Construction and Management workers renovated Dakota and Guthridge halls, District House and the University Student Center but declined to comment if GW made any upgrades to academic buildings. The building updates are part of a sweeping renovation to campus facilities as officials grapple with aging residence halls and renovate the school’s dining areas to align with GW’s new meal plan. 

“Renovations and improvements are constantly being planned and executed across all GW campuses,” Metjian said in an email. 

Officials replaced windows in Dakota and Guthridge halls and modified rooms in Guthridge Hall. Metjian declined to specify how workers modified rooms.

The Student Association and Residence Hall Association published a report in April identifying windows in Dakota and Guthridge halls that were broken, lacked coating and were difficult to open.  

Metjian said officials constructed Indian fast casual spot Chaat House and fried chicken shop Absurd Bird in the student center. Officials also renovated the first floor of the center by tearing out benches and seating areas and replacing them with standing tables and chairs.  

Officials also added two screens to the entrance of Duquès Hall, advertising upcoming events, and workers are in the process of installing a larger screen in the lobby of Duquès Hall. 

Officials have yet to complete HVAC repairs at the Flagg Building, which began in November. Metjian did not specify whether officials completed renovations to the Flagg building’s windows and roof. 

Metjian said facilities workers constructed a market at former meeting rooms inside District House basement, where students can purchase products using dining dollars. Metjian did not specify when the store would open but said officials will introduce meal swipes as a form of payment at the market once the market is up and running for a “little bit.”

Metjian first shared plans for the store — offering “grab and go” items — after salad vendor Crisp permanently closed in April. The space where Crisp was is now walled off, and the grocery store is where there used to be meeting rooms. 

SA Vice President Demetrius Apostolis said the idea for the grocery store came in December after Whole Foods announced it would not accept GWorld as a form of payment. He said he advocated for fresh produce to be included in the store for students to use the swipes-based dining plan.

“This is proof that student advocacy does work,” Apostolis said.

Officials also added a freezer section, deli meats and cheeses, paper products like plates, towels and toiletries to the market in Shenkman Hall.

Metjian said officials have not yet “finalized” the opening date for the relocated and renovated Campus Store at 2100 Pennsylvania Ave., but they said they expect to open the store later this fall. Officials announced the move of the campus store from the basement of the student center in January.