Perspective: To experience DC, spend a summer working and living here.

During some lunch breaks at my summer internship for a D.C. lobbying firm, I’d sit outside Junction Bistro and Bar in Stanton Park, watch hundreds of passersby and appreciate how I had the opportunity to work in such a fast-paced and business-oriented environment right near Capitol Hill.

The experience of people-watching at the restaurant, which I’ll visit this school year to study and grab a bite from time to time, was a far cry from my small Massachusetts hometown, where I expected to spend the summer. Spending summers at home can be productive and exciting, but living on campus and working in D.C. taught me about the professional world, politics and myself.

I learned more this summer from my internship than some courses I’ve taken. There were several trips to the Hill, lobbying meetings with federal agencies and Senate offices and chances to meet with dozens of senators and representatives. While my work required me to stay up to date on news and legislative affairs, it also got me out of Foggy Bottom.

Heading to work each day, I became more familiar with Union Station and the Stanton Park area, which I knew little about before. In my free time after work and on weekends, I tried new food from around the city, which led to a love of Persian food. I also attended some Nationals games, took day trips to Maryland and Virginia and walked around the city. From watching the Fourth of July fireworks at the Georgetown Waterfront to golfing alongside the Potomac, my summer in D.C. was unlike any other — especially my typical summers back home.

Unlike my suburban hometown, I had the opportunity to learn about and explore D.C. and beyond on my own. I still enjoy eating at my childhood restaurants, driving down familiar streets and spending time with high school friends at home, but I’ve realized how much independence and maturity I’ve developed living in the city.

During a weekend back home this summer, I missed walking around Georgetown and late-night Crepeaway deliveries. Plus, where else can you meet CNN anchor Dana Bash on your way to CVS or talk with George Santos, a New York Republican in Congress, at the Congressional Baseball Game? (He did not approve of my internship at a Democratic lobbying firm but was friendlier than expected.)

Because I spent more personal time here this summer, different buildings, foods and people at GW have started to feel like home to me. Now, I have my favorite local restaurants, neighborhoods and people — and I’m eager to continue exploring the city.

Living in the city without classes filling my schedule and tying me down to Foggy Bottom made it easier to explore the District, and I feel much more familiar with D.C. as a result. As someone who thrives on schedules and structure, the lack of school structure required me to create my own productive routine in which I could spend time in various parts of the city.

I feel lucky to be at a school and in a city where so many students come to engage in various work opportunities, and both internships and the city itself have so much to offer. Now that classes have started, I’m excited to show my friends who are back in D.C. my favorite new spots around the city and maintain my independence and productivity. I’m eager to eat lunch in a packed student center, attend rowdy basketball games and even return to some of my favorite study spots on campus.

It takes time to make the city feel like home — it took me two school years and one summer to feel truly happy and comfortable here. I wish I had explored the city earlier in my GW experience, and I’m so grateful that I had the opportunity to live here this summer.

During the short time we have here at GW, experience the great food, places, opportunities and people that D.C. has to offer. Though we’re back in class, try and find time to explore the city — use your U-Pass to travel to and visit different places around D.C., Maryland and Virginia.

And if you do get a chance to spend a summer here, try it. It may be one of the only times in your life when you can spend a summer in D.C. And who knows what you’ll learn from both working and living in the District — or who you’ll run into.

Mia Adams, a junior majoring in political science, is a columnist.