Fall in love with these autumn album releases

As autumn leaves start to fall, gone are the generation-defining songs of the summer and the world-encompassing summer blockbuster albums.

But that doesn’t mean music is leaving the popular zeitgeist for these next few months, with artists from pop princesses to indie darlings dropping highly anticipated new releases. Here are our most anticipated albums of the fall:

“The Land Is Inhospitable and So Are We” — Mitski, Sept. 15

Indie pop artist Mitski is stepping back into the spotlight. Her sixth album “Laurel Hell,” released February 2022, became her first to lead the Top Alternative Albums charts. It pushed the sometimes-elusive artist — known for protecting her personal life and avoiding social media — further into the public eye.

In a surprise voice memo released in an email to her fans, Mitski announced her seventh album, “This Land Is Inhospitable and So Are We,” which releases Sept. 15. Where she’ll go next after both achieving and denouncing mainstream success makes this my most anticipated fall release. The first single, “Bug Like An Angel,” has a stripped-back production, melancholic guitar and a haunting backing choir. Its minimalism is refreshing and highlights her razor-sharp lyricism about regret and loneliness that I’m eager to hear more of on the album.

“This Land Is Inhospitable” will likely not be a mainstream hitmaker — but that could be intentional. Instead of fully retreating from music, it seems Mitski is venturing somewhere even emotionally deeper, and I can’t wait to follow.

Bridget Smith | Reporter

“Golden Age” — NCT, Aug. 28

For those not inducted into the dizzying world of K-pop, NCT is a great place to start. The boy band, usually split into five subunits, comes back together every few years for an ensemble album featuring all 20 members.

Since their last album in 2021, NCT’s subunits have changed a lot. One subunit, NCT 127, has put out “Sticker,” a classic full of bold, experimental sounds that push K-pop’s boundaries. Another subunit, NCT Dream, has put out albums like “ISTJ,” a landmark in the underappreciated world of Korean R&B.

The group’s past ensemble releases, “Empathy,” “Resonance” and “Universe” all distinctly feature the musical style of each and every member, while meshing all of them into one coherent production. From fiery rapping to heartfelt, soulful ballads, the upcoming “Golden Age” is sure to have something for everyone.

And the album’s sole single so far, the title track, showcases that perfectly. The song begins with somber piano music, before bursting into explosive, high-paced hip hop, then transitions into a soft R&B hymn. The group’s versatility and musical diversity make “Golden Age” an album to look out for this fall.

Nan Jiang | Reporter

“1989 (Taylor’s Version)” — Taylor Swift, Oct. 27

Taylor Swift’s Grammy Award-winning album “1989” is finally out of the woods — or at least freed from nefarious music executive Scooter Braun’s clutches. “1989 (Taylor’s Version)” is the fourth installment in Swift’s quest to rerecord her first six albums after Braun obtained the rights to Swift’s masters against her wishes.

Nine years after its original release, “1989 (Taylor’s Version)” enters a still imperfect but more inclusive atmosphere with a lot less square-lens, colorful sunglasses. Swift’s record-breaking Eras Tour reflects society’s increased inclusiveness; while her 1989 tour included mostly male opening acts, the Eras Tour included a plethora of female and LGBTQ+ performers. While her original releases only feature male artists, like Ed Sheeran and Tim McGraw, Swift spotlights other female singers like Phoebe Bridgers and Hayley Williams on her vault songs, or previously unreleased tracks.

As Swift ends the first leg of her U.S. Eras Tour before embarking on South American and European concerts, she is at the height of her influence. If “1989 (Taylor’s Version)” follows Swift’s more inclusive revisions, her fourth re-release will bring the sexy, urban fantasy to a much wider audience using culturally reflective voices, proving anyone can be in their “1989” era.

Annie O’Brien | Culture Podcast Host

“GUTS” — Olivia Rodrigo, Sept. 8

Olivia Rodrigo is back for the release of her new album, and she’s ready to rip out our guts.

Following the success of her time as Nini on the Disney+ hit “High School Musical: The Musical: The Series” and her debut album “SOUR,” which broke countless streaming records and earned her three Grammy Awards, Olivia Rodrigo is set to release her sophomore album “GUTS” next month. Rodrigo describes “GUTS” as an album centered around “growing pains” and trying to find your sense of self, Rodrigo saying she felt like she’d aged 10 years over the past two.

Rodrigo appears to have overcome the infamous “sophomore slump” many artists face, as the first two singles off of “GUTS,” “vampire” and “bad idea right?” both debuted in the top ten of the Billboard Hot 100, with “vampire” reaching the top spot. “GUTS” is the album of the fall because Olivia Rodrigo is shaping up to be our next pop princess, and she’s just getting started.

Jack Parr | Reporter

“Don’t Be Dumb” — A$AP Rocky, Fall 2023

It’s the second-most anticipated event for A$AP Rocky this year. After his partner Rihanna gave birth to their second child earlier this month, the rapper is set to release his fourth studio album, “Don’t Be Dumb.”

A$AP Rocky hasn’t yet announced the release date for the album — though it’s expected to drop this fall — but he has released clips of singles and features from the album. His first album in five years features collaborations with Pharrell and Tyler, the Creator, so the record is likely to be a high point for hip-hop this year.

Zach Blackburn | Editor in Chief