Pride month is over, but here are some local LGBTQ+ businesses to support year round

Participants at the Pride Walk & Rally can walk, bike or roller skate on the parade route from Dupont Circle to Freedom Plaza.

Pride month is almost over, but the celebration of queer joy doesn’t have to stop on July 1.

When the rainbow crosswalks disappear from streets and major corporations erase their pride logos as June comes to an end, uplifting LGBTQ+-owned businesses becomes all the more important. From bookstores to candy shops, here are several LGBTQ+-owned businesses to support year round.

Loyalty Bookstores
Head over to this indie bookstore nestled in the heart of Petworth and peruse their shelves for your next summer literary adventure. Or, if you’ve been stuck in a reading rut, check out their team’s recommendations and get yourself back on track to meeting your Goodreads goal.

Founder Hannah Oliver Depp created Loyalty Bookstores to center diverse stories from LGBTQ+, people of color and disabled authors, spanning genres from fantasy to non-fiction reads. If you’re looking for more of a communal experience, Loyalty hosts a variety of in-person and virtual authors’ readings — including a recent live discussion with actor Elliot Page about his memoir — and free book clubs for those looking to discuss their favorite reads with friends they just haven’t met yet. 

Loyalty Bookstores. 843 Upshur St. NW. Open Tuesday through Friday 11 a.m. to 7 p.m.,  Saturday 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. and Sunday from 12 to 6 p.m.

The Duplex Diner
An Adams Morgan staple since it first opened its doors in 1998, the Duplex Diner serves up classic American eats and boasts an expansive brunch menu stacked with omelets, pancakes and breakfast sandwiches. Even more impressive is their espresso martini collection from their classic version to their Cambodian coffee which combines sweet condensed milk and vanilla vodka, all freshly brewed ($16-$18).

The interior draws inspiration from retro diners with alternating bright-red and blue metal chairs placed around small vinyl tables in the center of the room. On the first Sunday of each month, this low-key brunch spot clears their main floor of tables and transforms into a stage for D.C.-based drag performer Mia Vanderbilt, who also hosts the diner’s weekly “RuPaul’s Drag Race” watch parties.

The Duplex Diner. 2004 18th St. NW. Open Monday through Wednesday from 6 to 11 p.m., Thursday through Friday from 6 p.m. to 1 a.m., Saturdays from 11 a.m. to 1 a.m., and Sundays from 11 a.m. to 10 p.m.

Capital Candy Jar
Feed your sweet tooth and support an LGBTQ+-owned business by shopping at this D.C. confectionary shop headquartered in the Capitol Hill neighborhood. 

Founder Dave Burton got his start making lollipops for his friends as a sweet side hustle before years later creating his own sugary treat shop, Capital Candy Jar. Check out their pride collection that they have beyond June and taste the rainbow in many forms, from sour belts ($6.95) to multicolored, marshmallow-filled licorice.

Capital Candy Jar. 201 15th St. NE. Open Tuesday through Sunday from 12 to 7 p.m.

Miss Pixie’s Furnishings & Whatnot
Located next to the bustling Barcelona Wine Bar, this vintage home goods shop beckons passersby in with its hot-pink storefront and haphazardly strewn about fairy lights and paper daisy light fixtures dangling from the ceiling.

Step inside Miss Pixie’s and be careful not to bump into an antique dresser as you make your rounds about the store chock full of coffee tables, glassware, vintage lamps and so much more. The real steals are their collection of “whatnots” — vintage photos, matchbooks and postcards ($1) — perfect for turning into a collage on your dorm wall or framing individually and scattering them about your apartment.

Miss Pixie’s Furnishings and Whatnot. 1626 14th St. NW. Open Monday through Sunday from 11 a.m. to 6:30 p.m.

Mi Vida 
Owned by prolific chef Roberto Santibañez, this upscale Mexican eatery is impossible to miss from the street as the front of the three story red brick building is covered with a bright floral mural in shades of pink, turquoise and yellow. The inside is only marginally toned down with soft lighting but continues the flowery motif with a floor to ceiling statue of the “Tree of Life.”

This restaurant is well worth the 25 minute bus ride from campus for their sampler platter alone — piled high with crab empanadas, flautas stuffed with shredded chicken, salsas and so much more — which serves three people ($47 total). For the avid snackers who like to try a little bit of everything, Mi Vida is a stunning spot to celebrate a special occasion and feast on a variety of appetizers with friends and family.

Mi Vida. 1901 14th St. NW. Open Monday through Wednesday from 12 to 10 p.m., Thursdays 12 to 11 p.m., Fridays 12 to 12 a.m., Saturdays 11 a.m. to 12 p.m., Sundays 11 a.m. to 10 p.m.