School of Nursing to help staff mobile health clinic for Loudon County elementary schools

Faculty+in+the+nursing+school+are+donating+to+the+University+at+the+highest+rate+of+all+schools+at+GW%2C+officials+said.+
Faculty in the nursing school are donating to the University at the highest rate of all schools at GW, officials said.

The School of Nursing, Loudoun County Public Schools and Inova Loudoun Hospital opened a mobile health clinic last week to provide free basic health care services to LCPS students.

School of Nursing personnel will help staff the LCPS Mobile Health Clinic, which will visit seven LCPS schools throughout the summer, providing physicals, wellness checks and community health care service referrals to students free of cost, according to a LCPS release last week. The release states that the clinic will reduce educational barriers and support families in enrolling students in school because Virginia law requires physicals, wellness checks and vaccinations to enroll students in public schools.

“We’ve had challenges ensuring students receive the appropriate healthcare for years,” LCPS Director of Student Services and the clinic’s lead coordinator Clark Bowers said in the release. “This clinic will facilitate student enrollment in school.”

The clinic will visit the schools — Sterling Middle and Forest Grove, Guilford, Rolling Ridge, Sterling, Sugarland and Sully elementaries — on a rotating schedule until late August. The clinic is housed in an Inova Mobile Health Services bus, which offers screenings of blood pressure, glucose, cholesterol, body mass index, bone density, hearing, vision and sun damage, according to Inova’s website.

The Mobile Health Clinic receives funding from a Virginia Department of Education grant awarded to LCPS earlier this year, the release states.

“We are grateful to our partners for helping this plan come to fruition,” LCPS Acting Superintendent Daniel Smith said in the release. “I am very excited and optimistic about the impact this clinic will have on our community.”