Men’s basketball adds graduate forward Smith from transfer portal

Men’s basketball announced the signing of graduate forward Antoine Smith Jr. last Thursday.

As a senior last season, Smith averaged 7.7 points on 40 percent shooting and 36 percent three-point shooting in 24 minutes per game for the Evansville Purple Aces of Indiana. The Revolutionaries hope he can provide another scoring option for the team, which heavily relied on graduate guard James Bishop and former guard Brendan Adams to create offense last season.

“One thing that stands out is that he has been an excellent 3-point shooter over a large sample size,” Head Coach Chris Caputo said in a press release last Thursday. “The combination of shooting and positional versatility defensively makes him an excellent fit.”

Smith represents the Revolutionaries’ fourth recruited transfer of this offseason, joining freshman Benny Schröder from the University of Oklahoma, former Princeton forward Garrett Johnson and Virginia Tech redshirt forward freshman Darren Buchanan Jr.

All four transfers recruited so far have been forwards, while the Revolutionaries’ three recruits have each been guards.

With junior center Noel Brown transferring to St. Bonaventure and senior forward Hunter Dean transferring to LSU in April and May of this year, respectively, the Revolutionaries have aggressively moved to add size to their roster, something that the 6-foot-7 Smith will help with. While the team still lacks a proven big man, these recent roster moves will add depth at the forward position.