Police arrest two teens, recover vehicle after report of campus carjacking

Rachel Moon | Staff Photographer
Metropolitan Police Department officers survey 23rd Street following an alleged armed carjacking Thursday.

Updated: Friday, May 5, 2023, at 6:18 p.m.

Metropolitan Police Department officers arrested two teenagers accused of committing an armed carjacking at on campus Thursday, according to an MPD spokesperson.

MPD spokesperson Alaina Gertz said Thursday that the department received a call at 1:32 p.m. for an armed carjacking, where multiple suspects reportedly stole a victim’s white Honda Accord, and that the victim reported no injuries. A different MPD spokesperson said Friday that officers arrested a 14-year-old male and a 16-year-old female at about 6:50 p.m. Thursday and recovered the vehicle.

The alleged carjacking occurred on the 2300 Block of 23rd Street, near the Mount Vernon Express stop in front of Tompkins Hall. At least two MPD units and one GW Police Department unit responded to the scene Thursday.

The spokesperson confirmed Friday there were still no reported injuries. MPD spokesperson Hugh Carew said the teens were armed with a handgun in an email Friday.

University officials issued a GW Alert at 1:31 p.m. advising community members of an armed carjacking at 22nd and G streets, requesting community members “look out” for a white Honda Accord and call 911 with any information. The alert advised community members not to approach the vehicle.

The University issued an all-clear alert at 1:53 p.m. Thursday.

Rachel Moon contributed reporting. 

This post was updated to reflect the following:

The Hatchet updated this story to include a statement from MPD spokesperson Hugh Carew.