Man found shot near GW Hospital, MPD investigating

File Photo by Sophia Goedert

Updated: April 7, 2023, at 4:44 p.m.

A man who was shot was reportedly found by the GW Hospital at 1:44 p.m. Friday, according to a Metropolitan Police Department spokesperson.

MPD spokesperson Brianna Burch said the victim was “conscious and breathing” after he was found at the intersection of 24th and I streets. She said as of about 3:30 p.m. that officers are “not sure yet” if the victim was shot at the intersection of 24th and I streets or if he was left there.

GW officials issued an “all clear” alert for the scene at 24th and I streets at 4:26 p.m.

Burch said the victim was transported to a nearby hospital, and the incident is “still under investigation.”

An MPD spokesperson said police are looking for a suspect in a “silver Honda Fit vehicle,” and they do not know the current whereabouts or further identifying characteristics of the suspect. 

A spokesperson for the GW Hospital declined to share whether the victim was admitted to the hospital.

University officials issued a GW Alert at 1:57 p.m. to advise community members to “avoid the area” near 24th and I streets due to “urgent police activity.” Officials issued a second GW Alert at 2:43 p.m. that stated MPD officers are investigating an “injured individual” and urged community members to call 911 if they see a “Silver 2010 Honda Fit.”

University spokesperson Julia Metjian said the GW Police Department is “assisting with securing the crime scene” during MPD’s investigation. 

This is a developing story. 

Caitlin Kitson and Vaughan Goff contributed reporting.

This post has been updated to include the following:
The Hatchet updated the story to include GW officials’ “all clear” alert for the incident at 24th and I streets.