Officials to close fourth floor of SMPA building for HVAC upgrades

File Photo by Eric Lee
SMPA Professor and Hatchet Board member Steven Roberts organized the $100,000 fund in memory of his wife, broadcast journalist and author Cokie Roberts.

Officials said they will close the fourth floor of the Media and Public Affairs building Monday for nearly two weeks of heating, ventilation and air conditioning upgrades.

Baxter Goodly, senior associate vice president of facilities planning, construction and management, said the fourth floor will be closed from Jan. 23 to Feb. 6 while officials replace HVAC vents in offices and hallways and install new controls in the building’s ceilings. He added that officials will periodically close each floor of the building in the coming months for active construction.

“Crews are taking down the ceiling tiles, removing the old equipment, installing the new high-performance vents and controls, reinstalling the ceilings and then cleaning up any construction debris,” Goodly said in an email. “This work cannot be safely completed in an occupied space.”

Goodly said officials will close the first floor and Jack Morton Auditorium of MPA during the first part of the summer session when no events or classes are scheduled for renovations. He said officials will conduct repair and replacement work in classrooms during spring break.

“Accommodations for limited access to offices and support spaces are available for individual requests,” Goodly said.