GW community eligible to receive COVID-19 booster but officials silent on mandate

Rachel Schwartz | Assistant Photo Editor
High-risk and disabled students said they’re concerned that because the testing requirement has been lifted, more asymptomatic cases will go unnoticed.

Updated: Sept. 8, 2022 at 10:31 a.m.

The DC Department of Health is providing free updated COVID-19 booster shots targeting the Omicron variant at walk-up clinics in each of the eight wards as officials are considering how to approach the inclusion” of the new vaccine into the University’s COVID-19 protocol.

Members of the GW community can receive their Moderna or Pfizer booster shot at the Ward 2 walk-up clinic at 926 F St. NW with a walk-in appointment every day except Sunday, according to the Health Department’s website. University spokesperson Tim Pierce said GW’s Medical Advisory Group is considering how to approach the inclusion” of the Omicron vaccine into the school’s COVID policy but declined to comment on if officials plan to mandate the new booster.

We will share updates with the community as appropriate,” Pierce said in an email.

DC Health will also offer take-home rapid antigen tests and walk-up testing sites where residents can self-administer PCR tests at each of the eight vaccine clinics.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention authorized the use of the updated COVID boosters from Pfizer-BioNTech for people 12 years and older and from Moderna for people 18 years and older on Thursday.

The updated COVID booster vaccines offer protection against the two strands of the Omicron variant and the original strand of the coronavirus and represent the first time the COVID vaccines were reformulated since their creation.

This post was updated to include the following:
This post was updated to include a statement from Pierce.