Associate vice president for central development departs from GW

Photo Illustration by Danielle Towers | Assistant Photo Editor
Vice President for Development and Alumni Relations Donna Arbide said officials would prefer for a current administrator within the Division of Development and Alumni Relations to serve as Henson’s permanent replacement instead of an outside candidate.

Updated: Feb. 17, 2022 at 9:05 a.m.

GW’s associate vice president for central development stepped down from the role last month.

Maryam Henson, who joined the University in 2017, left GW in January to accept a position as vice president of partnerships at The Pew Charitable Trusts, a nonprofit organization focused on public policy, according to her LinkedIn profile. Vice President for Development and Alumni Relations Donna Arbide said a pair of administrators will take over Henson’s responsibilities until officials hire a permanent replacement later this spring.

Henson oversaw University initiatives, family philanthropy and relations with corporations and foundations in her position at GW, according to the University’s website.

GW Development and Alumni Relations is privileged to have tremendous depth of talent on our team,” Arbide said in an email. “Due to the complexity of the Associate VP of Central Initiatives role, there will be two interim leaders managing the scope of work.”

Arbide said officials would prefer to promote a current administrator within the Division of Development and Alumni Relations to the position instead of an outside candidate.

“Maryam Henson built a strong Foundation and Corporations program and team for GW and also built a team of major gift professionals for GW’s central initiatives,” Arbide said. “Central projects include but are not limited to Thurston Hall fundraising, Institute for Data, Democracy and Politics, scholarship fundraising, among other important priorities.”

This post has been updated to correct the following:

An earlier version of this post misattributed Arbide’s statements to a University spokesperson. The statements are now correctly attributed to Arbide. We regret this error.