Where to watch the Super Bowl in the District

Try+some+delicious+snacks+like+beer-battered+onion+rings+and+Bavarian+pretzels+while+watching+the+game+at+Church+Hall.+
Auden Yurman | Assistant Photo Editor
Try some delicious snacks like beer-battered onion rings and Bavarian pretzels while watching the game at Church Hall.

With the Super Bowl just around the corner, it’s time to make plans for how you plan to celebrate the unofficial holiday.

In addition to the actual football game, the Super Bowl is about the food, friends and especially the commercials. Finding a place to watch it is key to having a fun time – hit up one of these five D.C. sports bars to watch the Rams take on the Bengals in the 56th Super Bowl.

Church Hall
This popular Georgetown sports bar is located just off M Street at 1070 Wisconsin Ave. NW. When you walk in, take your pick between the spacious, traditional first floor or the loft area. The lofted second floor gives you a less crowded space to tune into the game, and you can relax on one of the big leather couches while you enjoy your drinks and appetizers. Order up some beer-battered onion rings, giant Bavarian pretzels and sweet potato tots to pair with your drink of choice. Enjoy the rustic, laid back vibe of Church Hall while you sit back to watch the game. This year’s Super Bowl kicks off at 6:30 p.m., so arrive at Church Hall a little early to take advantage of their happy hour prices which include $5 beers and house liquor.

Dirty Water
Dirty Water Bar is a Boston-themed sports bar in the H Street Corridor found at 816 H St. NE. Expect your classic sports bar with plenty of TVs to watch the Super Bowl from every angle possible. The exposed brick walls are filled with posters from Boston sports teams, and though the city is not represented in the Super Bowl this year, it is still a lively environment that will ensure you have a good time. Grab a couple orders of your favorite appetizers and drinks while you enjoy the down-to-earth vibe of the bar.

Rocket Bar
Head over to Rocket Bar at 714 7th Street NW in Chinatown to both watch the game and play some games. The spacious bar provides several shuffleboard tables, darts, pool and arcade games. Be sure to take advantage of happy hour, which runs from 4 to 8 p.m. daily. Rocket Bar is known for its beers, so order a few pints while they are only $4 during happy hour. The spot offers plenty of bartop seating throughout the spacious underground location, making it the optimal location if you want to enjoy the game with a large group of friends.

Penn Social
Stop by Penn Social, a sister bar of Church Hall, located at 801 E St. NW. This bar is divided up into an outside patio bar open seasonally, a coxy street-level bar with games and couches and a spacious underground bar with several TVs and a large stage. Feel free to move between the bars to see which you like best. Happy hour runs from 4 to 7 p.m. The space is outfitted with a 22-foot TV screen, perfect for big games like the Super Bowl. You can even take an online tour before heading out to see if this bar is right for you. There is also plenty of table setting so you can enjoy your favorite Super Bowl snacks while watching the game.

Union Pub
If you are looking for a spot to watch the game and enjoy some stellar food, hit up Union Pub at 201 Massachusetts Ave. NE in the Stanton Park neighborhood. The new menu includes items like Arepas, sweet plantains, crispy brussel sprouts and cachapas. The venue is on the smaller side, so this is the optimal place to go if you’re interested in watching the game with a small group of friends in a lively atmosphere. Pair your favorite drink with any item on the menu to have a culinary experience with a side of football.