Metro adds trains to service as delays stretch into third week

Some members of the Metro Board of Directors expressed support for implementing a $2 flat fee for riding the Metrorail.

Metro is adding more trains into service Monday in an attempt to ease slowdowns stemming from a Blue Line derailment earlier this month.

The Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority is bringing seven older trains into service while officials work to return the 748 7000-series railcars that were removed from service earlier this month, according to a release. Thirty-nine trains will now be in operation, improving service from the 32 trains that operated last week.

“Our rail maintenance crews are working hard to get more trains into service so that customers don’t have to wait as long to get where they need to go,” Metro General Manager Paul Wiedefeld said in the release. “We are working as quickly and safely as possible to restore more service in the coming weeks and continue to develop plans for inspections to return our 7000-series railcar fleet to service.”

WMATA announced last week that service slowdowns will last through at least mid-November, and Metro officials still have not offered a clear timeline for when the 7000-series railcars will return to service.

The release states Red Line trains will come every 15 to 20 minutes, and Silver, Blue, Yellow and Orange Line trains will operate every 30 to 40 minutes starting Monday. Green Line trains will operate every 20 minutes.

Silver Line service will also extend to the end of the line at Largo Town Center rather than ending at Federal Center SW, according to the release.