D.C. hospitals call for COVID-19 vaccine requirement

File Photo by Alexander Welling | Assistant Photo Editor
The hospital alleges that new regulations promulgated by Azar’s department violates the Social Security Act and the Administrative Procedure Act.

Updated: June 17, 2021 at 1:14 p.m.

A network of hospitals in D.C. are set to begin requiring the COVID-19 vaccine for staff members.

The D.C. Hospital Association – which includes the GW Hospital – released a statement last Wednesday calling for hospitals and health systems in the District to implement a COVID-19 vaccine requirement for their employees and “clinical team members.” The release states the move would be an “important step” in ensuring the safety of D.C. hospital employees and patients.

“The decision was based on expert guidance and data showing the minimal risk of COVID-19 vaccines, compared to their high rates of effectiveness,” the statement reads.

GW Hospital spokesperson Susan Griffiths said GW Hospital “continues to strongly encourage” vaccination for personnel but has not yet instituted a vaccine requirement.

The release states each hospital that will adopt the requirement in D.C. will select a date when vaccination will become a “condition of employment.” University officials announced in April that students, faculty and staff are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 before returning to campus in the fall.

“The District of Columbia is blessed with a hospital workforce of over 30,000 individuals that provided and continue to provide compassionate and quality care throughout the pandemic,” Jacqueline Bowens, the DCHA’s president and CEO, said. “This consensus is a reiteration of our hospitals’ commitment to safety by keeping our staff, patients and visitors protected against COVID-19.”

This post has been updated to correct the following:
The Hatchet incorrectly reported that the GW Hospital was set to require its employees to receive the COVID-19 vaccine. The hospital has not implemented a vaccine requirement. We regret this error.