Executive vice president candidate removed from SA election race

Senior+Quentin+McHoes%2C+ESIA-U%2C+said+he+will+not+be+on+the+ballot+for+executive+vice+president.+
File Photo by Grace Hromin | Staff Photographer
Senior Quentin McHoes, ESIA-U, said he will not be on the ballot for executive vice president.

A Student Association senator who launched a campaign for the organization’s executive vice president position earlier this month will no longer appear on this year’s SA election ballot.

Senior Quentin McHoes, ESIA-U, announced on his Instagram story Tuesday that his campaign did not garner enough signatures for him to be an eligible candidate because of “last-minute” obstacles. McHoes said work and personal commitments prevented some campaign staff members from delivering petition signatures to him by the Joint Elections Commission’s deadline.

Presidential and EVP candidates needed to produce at least 500 signatures of support for their campaign to the JEC by Feb. 22 to qualify for the race, according to SA bylaws.

“Of course, I’m disappointed and honestly surprised,” McHoes said in his Instagram post. “I truly believed our campaign had the boldest and most achievable vision, the best experience, the right sense of urgency and the courage to enter and win this fight for all of us who are just so tired.”

McHoes said in an interview he and his team initially thought he surpassed the petition signature threshold in time to qualify as a candidate, but some signatories did not provide valid GWorld identification or had signed the petition twice. He added that he wrote a letter asking the JEC to consider his outstanding petitions, but the commission denied his appeal.

McHoes said he will not be involved in the SA next year, but will advocate on behalf on Sen. Brandon Hill, CCAS-U, and Drew Amstutz, the SA’s vice president for public affairs, in their campaigns for SA executive vice president and president, respectively.

He thanked his campaign team in his Instagram post and said he will continue to fight for transparency, accountability and inclusion at GW in his SA senate position.

“This is still a watershed election – we must take that seriously and rally behind the best candidates for this moment,” McHoes said in the post.