Repairs underway after mold found and removed in Duques Hall

None of the rooms in Duques Hall were required to be closed while officials fixed the mold issue in the building earlier this month.

Multiple staff members temporarily moved to new working spaces after officials found mold in Duques Hall earlier this month.

University spokeswoman Crystal Nosal confirmed that officials located “surface mold” on upholstery and carpet in five to 10 rooms in Duques Hall, leading “some” staff members to voluntarily relocate to “other locations” while work was underway to fix the issue. The mold has since been removed and final repairs are ongoing, she said.

“We continue to monitor areas impacted and dehumidifiers remain in the building,” she said in an email.

Nosal added that the affected areas have been “appropriately cleaned and tested” with the help of a remediation company and an industrial hygienist. Repairs to the building’s HVAC system, which officials believe caused the mold, will continue through September, she said.

“In the interim, adjustments have been made to the HVAC system operations to limit any recurrence of issues while final repair is underway,” Nosal said. “All areas of Duques remain safe for occupancy.”