Medical school enters partnership to research new use for anti-nausea drug

Researchers from the medical school will partner with Hoth Therapeutics to probe the effects of an anti-nausea drug.

The School of Medicine and Health Sciences has partnered with a biotherapeutics company to try to reduce side effects from a cancer-fighting drug.

Hoth Therapeutics, a corporation that focuses on treating patients dealing with chronic wounds and skin disorders like eczema, announced Saturday that it will work with the medical school to investigate the effects of Aprepitant, a drug that prevents nausea and vomiting caused by chemotherapy. The partners intend to research whether the drug can mitigate the side effects of Erlotinib, a chemotherapy drug that can cause skin rashes, lesions and hair loss.

“These synergistic efforts will concentrate on treatment of dermatological side effects, some of which may be so severe that many patients may choose to discontinue potentially life-prolonging cancer drug therapy,” William Weglicki, the partnership’s supervisor and a professor of biochemistry and molecular medicine and of medicine, said in a release.

Researchers from the two organizations will also examine whether skin irritation caused by other chronic conditions can be ameliorated with Aprepitant, the release states.

Hoth Therapeutics CEO Robbie Knie said in the release the company will announce its first study at GW in the upcoming weeks.

“Hoth is pleased to partner with GW as we research treatments to improve the quality of life of patients that are undergoing lifesaving treatments,” Knie said.