D.C. officials solicit feedback on distribution of affordable housing units

District officials are soliciting input from residents to decide where to build affordable homes, according to an Office of Planning newsletter.

The Office of Planning and the Department of Housing and Community Development released a survey Wednesday asking D.C. residents to provide feedback on the “current and future distribution” of affordable housing in the District. The survey is open through August 30 and comes as the D.C. Council prepares this fall to amend D.C.’s Comprehensive Plan, the city’s long-term blueprint for “future growth and development,” according to an OP newsletter.

“The survey will help shape our recommendations on how the city can more equitably build and develop affordable and market-rate housing,” the newsletter states.

The survey shows residents a map of the distribution of income-restricted housing units in the District and asks them whether they think the placement of the homes is fair. The survey asks residents which area they think is best to build new homes.

The survey requests information about residents’ ethnicity, age, gender, ward and length of residence in the District.

The survey is part of Mayor Muriel Bowser’s push to build 36,000 new affordable homes in D.C. by 2025. Last year, the District tallied about 51,000 affordable homes, nearly half of which were located in Wards 7 and 8, D.C. Curbed reported Thursday.