Two Republican congressmen request records from Metro’s Evans investigation

Updated: September 11, 2019 at 6:24 p.m.

Two House Republicans are requesting records from the Metro’s investigation into D.C. Councilmember and former Metro chair Jack Evans.

Reps. Mark Meadows, R-N.C., and Jim Jordan, R-Ohio, sent a letter to Metro board chair Paul Smedberg Tuesday requesting all documents and communication relating to Evans’ behavior as chair, The Washington Post reported Tuesday. The congressmen are also asking for information about the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority ethics committee’s decision to not publicize written records of its investigation into Evans and instead release a letter at the conclusion of the probe.

“The apparent lack of documentation about the investigation raises questions about whether this effort was a genuine one or simply a whitewash,” the letter states.

Smedberg told The Post that WMATA will comply with the request and provide the requested records by a July 30 deadline stated in the letter.

WMATA’s ethics committee ended a more than three-month-long investigation into Evans last month, finding that he broke several codes relating to conflicts of interest. Evans resigned as Metro chair late last month and federal agents searched his home days later.

The agency has drawn criticism from local politicians who urged the ethics committee to make documents of Evans’ investigation public and release a more detailed report about its findings.

Since WMATA wrapped up its probe, the D.C. Council has also launched an investigation into the councilmember and took away his position leading the Committee on Finance and Revenue earlier this month.