WMATA adds free bus service to Metrorail passes, creates three-day unlimited pass

WMATA will offer free Metrobus service to all passengers with Metrorail passes and expand service on the Red Line beginning Monday.

Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority officials announced a series of changes to the transit system’s passes and operating schedule, NBC Washington reported Monday. In addition to paying less for four of WMATA’s existing passes, Metro passengers will now have the option of purchasing a 3-Day Unlimited Pass and receive free bus trips with the purchase of a Metrorail pass, NBC Washington reported.

“Metro is delivering better, more reliable service today thanks to the hard work and dedication of our employees and support of our riders,” Metro General Manager and CEO Paul Wiedefeld told NBC Washington. “Now it’s time to do more – more affordable rail and bus passes and more service – that will attract new riders and benefit current customers.”

Riders will now pay less for the transit system’s 7-Day Unlimited Pass, the 7-Day Short Trip Pass, the 7-Day Regional Bus Pass and the 1-Day Unlimited Pass, NBC Washington reported. A press release from the transit agency did not specify how much WMATA is reducing the price of the four passes.

WMATA officials also announced they will operate Red Line trains end-to-end from Shady Grove to Glenmont, instead of turning some trains around to return to D.C. when they reach Silver Spring, NBC Washington reported.