Weekend outlook – Maintain your holiday spirit with a concert at the Washington National Cathedral

Graeme Sloan | Contributing Photo Editor
The Washington National Cathedral will host its annual performance of the “Joy of Christmas” Saturday.

Finals week may be bleak, but winter break is on the horizon. Power through your last days of class while getting into the holiday spirit at these events around the District.

Friday

“An Irish Carol” at The Keegan Theatre

This week, the Keegan Theatre will premiere its annual original play. This year’s performance is dubbed “An Irish Carol,” a comedic take on Charles Dickens’ “A Christmas Carol.” Written by Matthew Keenan, a member of the Keegan company, “An Irish Carol” takes place in an Irish pub owned by miserly owner David, who has lost his Christmas spirit. Follow David’s path of self-discovery as he reflects on his past, present and future. Peppered with cursing and booze, this is the perfect show to have a quick laugh before you leave for break.

The Keegan Theatre, 1742 Church St. NW. Doors open at 8 p.m. Tickets are $40 for students and $50 for adults.

Saturday

“Joy of Christmas” at the Washington National Cathedral

For a more traditional Christmas vibe, head to the Washington National Cathedral for the “Joy of Christmas” program. Decked in majestic Christmas decorations, the church epitomizes the Christmas spirit. Traditional carols like “Ave Maria” and “Hark the Herald Angels Sing” will be accompanied by chorus, organ and brass, but the program also includes sing-a-longs and an original carol by composer Paul Moravec to be announced at the event. Whether you bring your family and friends or go by yourself, the “Joy of Christmas” event is the perfect way to start a holiday celebration on a high note.

Washington National Cathedral, 3101 Wisconsin Ave. NW. Two shows at 2 and 7 p.m. Tickets are $25.

Sunday

Kwanzaa Celebration

Dance Place will host two different dance groups Sunday to exemplify the seven principles of Kwanzaa. Under the direction of Sylvia Soumah, Coyaba Academy and Coyaba Dance Theater will showcase West African dance and culture through two hours of rhythmic drumming and performances.

Dance Place, 3225 Eighth St. NE. 8 p.m. Tickets are $15 for students and $30 for adults.