Four men on scooters snatch purse from pedestrian near 22nd and H streets

Updated: Oct. 2, 2018 at 8:56 p.m.

A person was robbed near the intersection of 22nd and H streets Sunday morning, according to two official crime alerts.

Four men snatched a purse from a person at about 10:39 a.m., Metropolitan Police Department spokeswoman Brianna Jordan said. The suspects are black men between the ages of 14 and 18, one wearing a gray hooded sweatshirt and one wearing a red hooded sweatshirt, according to a D.C. Alert issued at about 11:07 a.m.

The suspects were riding scooters, and both MPD and the GW Police Department are on scene investigating and canvassing the area near 2146 F St. NW, according to a GW Alert sent out just after 11 a.m.

The GW Alert advised students to avoid the area and to call 911 or the GWPD emergency line if the suspects are sighted.

But Stephanie Lee, a freshman who identified herself as the victim, contradicted official reports and said she saw five to six teens on scooters by South Hall while walking to the Foggy Bottom Metro station. Lee said they followed her to the stop sign on 22nd and H streets, when one of them snatched her cellphone, not her purse.

She said one of the suspects was wearing a green hooded sweatshirt, not a gray hooded sweatshirt.

“One of them hopped off the scooter, ripped my phone out of my hands and ran away with one of the guys,” she said. “The rest ran forward and split up.”

Lee said she then called the police through the blue light system and GWPD and MPD officers and a detective arrived on scene. She said authorities recovered her phone and have been holding it as evidence since.

University spokeswoman Maralee Csellar said she did not have any additional information about the robbery.

Editor’s note: This post was updated to include comment from Stephanie Lee, a freshman who identified herself as the victim.