Sodom leaves men’s basketball program after three months

Updated: Aug. 24, 2018 at 9:37 p.m.

Men’s basketball sophomore center Chris Sodom is leaving the program less than three months after committing to GW, Sodom announced in an athletics release Friday.

Sodom will depart due to “significant family matters,” he said in the release. No further details were included in the release. Sodom committed to the program in May for the 2018-19 season with three years of eligibility.

Head coach Maurice Joseph declined to say when he was informed of Sodom’s decision to leave and if Sodom would transfer to another program. Joseph also declined to say if Sodom trained with GW over the summer and if the team would look for another player to fill his position.

An athletics department spokesman declined to comment.

Sodom could not immediately be reached for comment.

Before committing to GW, Sodom was dismissed from Georgetown’s basketball program for violating team rules after playing just six games with the team. In his time at Georgetown, the 7-foot-3-inch center played 27 minutes and averaged 0.7 points and 1.3 rebounds per game.

Sodom initially committed to New Mexico under then-head coach Craig Neal, but was released from his binding contract when the coach was dismissed in April 2017.

This post was updated to reflect the following correction:
The Hatchet incorrectly reported that Sodom left after less than two months. He left after less than three months. We regret this error.