Political student groups: White supremacism has ‘no place’ on campus

Both the College Republicans and College Democrats released statements Wednesday condemning a white nationalist rally in D.C. this weekend.

The “Unite the Right” rally – organized by the same leaders of last year’s Charlottesville protest – will take place Sunday afternoon in Lafayette Square. Ahead of the demonstration, protesters will take the Metro from Vienna, Va. to Foggy Bottom and “parade” through campus to the park.

Both groups said the participants have “no place” on campus.

“There is no place for racism or discrimination in our organization, the Republican Party or the United States of America,” the College Republicans’ statement reads. “The white supremacists rallying in D.C. this Sunday have never and will never share our values.”

Ahead of the demonstration, the University announced that there will be heightened security measures – including building closures – and an increased police presence on campus during the protest. Officials, in an InfoMail Tuesday, advised students to “be mindful” of people following them into residence halls and other campus buildings.

The College Democrats urged students to follow the University’s security recommendations and called on students and counterprotesters to “show this group that we do not tolerate their behavior or beliefs.”

“As students, regardless of party affiliation, it is on us to create an environment of equality for a more tolerant tomorrow,” the group’s statement reads.