GW Hospital named ‘Center of Excellence’ for lung cancer screening

The D.C. Council passed multiple measures Tuesday clearing the path for a helipad to be constructed atop GW Hospital.

The GW Hospital and the GW Cancer Center were recognized by a national lung cancer coalition for a commitment to “responsible” lung cancer screening, according to a hospital release Thursday.

The Lung Cancer Alliance, a nonprofit health organization, named GW Hospital a “Screening Center of Excellence” – a designation given to health centers that provide patients with information about who is a candidate for lung cancer screening and comply with national standards for screening quality, radiation dose and diagnostic procedures. The hospital is now one of only two centers in the District to hold the title, the release states.

Since it began offering lung cancer screenings four years ago, the GW Hospital has performed more than 800 screenings and determined that 320 people were at risk, according to the release.

“We are proud to receive this recognition that reflects this ongoing and focused dedication to reducing cancer deaths across our region,” Kimberly Russo, the hospital’s CEO and managing director, said in the release.

Keith Mortman, the chief of the division of thoracic surgery, said early detection of lung cancer in high-risk individuals is “vital” for effective treatment.

“By finding lung cancer early, we are able to work closely with our patients and multidisciplinary team to create a care plan that will yield the best possible outcomes,” Mortman said in the release.