Man arrested after allegedly handcuffing police officer at Whole Foods

A man impersonating a police officer was arrested at Whole Foods Monday after handcuffing a real police officer, according to a Metropolitan Police Department report.

Just before 5 p.m., a witness reported that she saw a man brandishing a pair of silver handcuffs and threatening several customers at Whole Foods, according to the report.

Two MPD officers arrived at the scene and encountered Evan Graham, 47, who then became combative. He handcuffed one officer’s right hand and ordered him to “stop resisting,” according to the report.

MPD officers eventually arrested Graham for five separate offenses, including assault on a police officer, resisting arrest, possession of unregistered ammunition, possession of implements of a crime and impersonating a public official, the report states.

Graham was taken into custody, identified by his Maryland driver’s license and transported to the Second District station for processing. MPD officers recovered three pairs of silver handcuffs, three silver handcuff keys and one bullet, according to the report.

At his arraignment hearing Tuesday, Graham pleaded not guilty, according to D.C. Superior Court records. His misdemeanor status hearing will be held next month.