Report: Wawa aims to open location near campus in December

Wawa hoagies may be available only a few blocks away from the Foggy Bottom Campus by December.

The Pennsylvania-based convenience store chain is expected to begin building a store at 1111 19th St. NW beginning in August, according to a Washington Business Journal report.

This store will be larger than a typical Wawa with 8,400 square feet of space and will be open 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Coffee and specialty beverages will line the front of the store which will also feature a deli-sandwich counter, a retail area, a cold beverage location and public restrooms, according to documents obtained by the Journal.

The location will seat about 24 customers outside and the Wild Goose Cafe will provide seating inside, according to the report.

Prospective contractors were set to bid on the project Tuesday and would have a 116-day-contract to complete the store which would put its opening date in December, the Journal reported.

The proposed store, located on 19th Street between L and M streets, would be a short walk away from much of the Foggy Bottom Campus.

Wawa has not officially announced the location, but the company is expected to reveal more about its plans to open several locations in the District at an event at the Newseum on June 13.