Meet the Fall Gig acts

This post was written by Hatchet staff writer Callan Tansill-Suddath.

The GW Student Musician Coalition and the GW Feminist Student Union have partnered with WRGW to host the Fall Gig in Square 80 this Saturday. The event is free and intended to “promote local and female artistry in the music industry,” according to the event’s Facebook page. All three bands performing are native to the tri-state area.

Here’s a preview of what to expect at the performance:

“Thin Air” – Wildhoney

Hailing from Baltimore, indie noise-pop group Wildhoney has gained a devoted following since the release of their 2015 album “Your Face Sideways.” Of the songs on the album, “Thin Air,” is one of the more upbeat tracks, with an audible, catchy bassline and a chorus to match. Lead singer Lauren Shusterich’s vocals are girlish and light, which complement the cacophony of drums and guitar in the background, creating a fun and lively — but not overwhelming — sound. Their style is akin to that of Frankie Cosmos and Eskimeaux but with a dreamier and, at times, heavier emphasis on instrumentals.

“For Free” – Den-mate

Den-mate brings a fresh and undoubtedly unique electro-punk sound to the District’s music scene. The overall sound of the five-piece group echoes earlier electro-punk icons, like Crystal Castles, and the vocals sound like a combination of Bjork and Hope Sandoval of Mazzy Star. In “For Free,” Frontwoman Jules Hale’s sultry, haunting voice shines — meshing perfectly with a hypnotizing guitar riff and the background synthesizers. Though one of the slower tracks on the album, “For Free” is perhaps one of the strongest.

http://soundcloud.com/den-mate/for-free

“Doctor” – Priests

Of the three bands scheduled to play at the WRGW Fall Gig, Priests bears the most similar resemblance to the many girl punk bands who laid the groundwork for the genre. Frontwoman Katie Alice Greer spits aggressive yet feminine lyrics and has mastered the transition to more mellow melodies with effortless power. The track “Doctor” sounds like it could have been released twenty years ago, with similarities to the music released during the riot grrrl movement. A powerhouse of aggressive vocals, hard instrumentals and lyrics that Greer described to Washington City Paper as “influenced by ’60s protest folk music,” the music of Priests is a perfect example of what D.C. punk has been and what it will become. In addition to making music, Priests runs Sister Polygon Records, an independent music label.

The WRGW Fall Gig will take place in Square 80 from 1 p.m. to 6p.m. Saturday.