Student-run food pantry to open in October

Updated: Sept. 15, 2016 at 10:08 p.m.

Students struggling with food insecurity have a new solution in The Store, a new, student-run food pantry.

The Store is located in District House and will open on Oct. 1, according to the Division of Student Affairs website. Students in need will be able to access the inventory daily from 6:00 a.m. to noon and from 2:00 p.m.-2:00 a.m.

“Over the past couple of years, this need has increased on college campuses, and large populations of students often skip meals and go hungry because they cannot always afford enough to eat,” the website reads. “Our mission is to alleviate student hunger at GW by offering food items to ensure that every student has enough to eat.”

The Class Council surveyed students last semester to determine the demand for a food pantry. The group and the Center for Student Engagement will co-manage the location.

Students will request access to The Store by completing a form, which allows them the option to remain anonymous by using only their email and GWID to register, according to the website.

Volunteers, who will be trained by Class Council, will handle the day-to-day operations of the pantry. The Store is partnering with Capital Area Food Bank for inventory and will also use monetary gifts to purchase fresh produce through GW’s Community Supported Agriculture program, the website states.