D.C. library headquarters to move to K Street

The D.C. Public Library headquarters will move to a new location at 1990 K Street next year for at least three years while the current building is renovated, Washington Business Journal reported Wednesday.

The Department of General Services signed a lease for two spots in the K Street building to house 85 administrative staff members and the interim library. The space will include fewer than 30,000 square feet, a 93 percent reduction from the 400,000 square feet of space that the library currently uses at the Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial Library on 9th and G streets.

The library in the K Street location will have a small collection of new books, up to 12 computers, a computer training classroom and an adult literacy program, according to the Washington Business Journal.

The lease will cost the city about $2 million for the first two fiscal years of the five-year lease, which the District can terminate in 2020.

Other library locations in the city will have enhanced resources because of the reduced library space at the temporary headquarters, according to Washington Business Journal.

After the MLK building reopens in 2020, the renovated space will offer an auditorium, a public roof garden, a cafe with an outdoor patio and new elevators and furniture, Washington Business Journal reported.