D.C. Fire and EMS rescue two construction workers stuck on lift

Responders from D.C. Fire and EMS are in the process of rescuing two GW construction workers stuck on a hydraulic lift near District House Friday. Dan Rich | Photo Editor

Responders rescued two construction workers stuck on a construction lift near District House Friday, a spokesman from D.C. Fire and EMS said.

The workers were stuck on the lift for about three and a half hours Friday afternoon. Responders from D.C. Fire and EMS were on the scene and had to bring a third lift to bring the workers down.

D.C. Fire and EMS spokesman Vito Maggiolo said the agency’s special operations chief was on the scene to help determine the best course of action for the rescue. He said D.C. Fire cannot use a ladder truck to rescue him because the alley would not hold the weight of the truck.

“They are not in any immediate danger so we want to be really careful for how we to go about this,” Maggiolo said while the agency was considering rescue options.

He added that it took three and half hours to bring them down because the workers were uninjured on the lift and “they wanted to use the safest methods possible.”

Dan Rich contributed reporting.