Firefighter receives ‘non-serious injury’ in Munson Hall fire

D.C. Fire and EMS extingished a fire in Muson Hall Monday afternoon. Dan Rich | Photo Editor

Updated: June 6, 2016 at 5:18 p.m.

D.C. Fire and EMS responders extinguished a “small fire” in Munson Hall Monday afternoon, an agency spokesman said.

D.C. Fire and EMS spokesman Vito Maggiolo said a firefighter “suffered a non-serious injury” while responding to the fire. He said EMS personnel were treating the firefighter but could not confirm whether he was taken to a hospital.

Maggiolo said 35 firefighters responded to the fire before 2 p.m. He said responders are still trying to determine the cause of the fire.

“They’ll work on determining a cause,” he said around 2 p.m. “It’s a little early.”

Maggiolo said the call was to an address on H Street, but the responders were redirected to Munson Hall on I street.

University spokesman Kurtis Hiatt said officers in the University Police Department and D.C. Fire and EMS responded to the fire at 1:40 p.m. UPD “proceeded to evacuate the building immediately.”

He said there are currently 155 residents in the building, which houses non-GW residents in the summer.

“Damage was contained to the roof deck, which will remain closed until repairs are made,” Hiatt said.