Watergate Hotel set to reopen after $125 million facelift

The Watergate Hotel is set to reopen June 1 after a $125 million interior renovation. Hatchet file photo.

After two years of extensive renovations, the Watergate Hotel will reopen June 1, the Washington Business Journal reported Wednesday.

Although the hotel’s historic outside facade is unchanged, the interior got a $125 million upgrade with an additional 86 rooms, including 32 suites, and an extra 27,000 square feet for meeting and event space.

The Watergate Hotel includes a new rooftop lounge, spa and gym complete with an indoor pool. Kingbird, its main restaurant, will open with the hotel.

The luxurious, eclectically styled rooms will start at $319 a night, and the “Hello, I Love You” and “Just Soothe It” suites will cost $450 and up, according to the Washington Business Journal.

Watergate’s owner, the New York-based Euro Capital Properties, has hyped up the hotel’s grand opening by hiring “Mad Men” costumer Janie Bryant to design old-fashioned employee uniforms and hosting a “topping off” ceremony with the District’s most fashionable. The Watergate Hotel will also host a grand opening party in June, the Washington Business Journal reported.

A Euro Capital official said the Watergate Hotel would reopen last summer. Original plans for construction proposed in 2012 projected the project would cost $70 million and would be complete in 2014. The company pushed back construction and upped the cost in 2013.