Top faculty administrator to retire

Dianne Martin, the vice provost for faculty affairs, will retire in August. Hatchet File Photo.

Dianne Martin, the vice provost for faculty affairs, will retire on Aug. 31 after 33 years at GW, according to a University release.

Martin joined GW in 1983 as a computer science professor and went on to be the chair of the department of computer science Department, the director of the Cyber Security Policy and Research Institute and the associate vice president for graduate studies and academic affairs. She began her vice provost position in 2011.

In the provost’s office, she was a top advocate for faculty, working on projects like an overhaul to the Faculty Handbook, creating stricter ethics policies for researchers and changing the guidelines for evaluating teaching for tenure and promotion. She also oversaw the University Seminar Program and the Society of the Emeriti.

Martin also helped to create more than 170 new full-time faculty position as a part of the strategic plan, and led the development of a new faculty expert database to help raise the University’s profile.

“My fondest memories at the university are the hours spent in the classroom, engaging with students as I taught computer programming and a range of other subjects related to information technology,” she said in the release.

Martin is the seventh top administrator to announce leaving the University this academic year.

Interim Provost Forrest Maltzman said in the release that the role will be filled internally and a search committee is expected to begin this month. He said Martin was a “tireless advocate” for the University and the faculty.

“I am grateful for Dianne’s tremendous contributions to the university, our students and, especially, our faculty,” Maltzman said. “She has been an incredible friend and colleague, and our office will sorely miss her.”