Metro considers shutting down a line for six months

Metro
Metro could shut down an entire line for six months to complete repairs. Hatchet File Photo.

The Washington Metropolitan Area Transportation Authority could shut down an entire line for maintenance for six months, The Washington Post reported Wednesday.

Jack Evans, the chair of WMATA’s board of directors, said shutting down the system for nights and weekends is not enough to complete the needed repairs. He said that at most, WMATA would shut down segments of the rail for extended periods of time for the repairs, The Post reported.

Evans, who is the Foggy Bottom Council member, did not say which line WMATA was will be definitively shut down for the period. He mentioned the blue line, where the Foggy Bottom Metro station is located, as a candidate twice.

“People will go crazy. But there are going to be hard decisions that have to be made in order to get this fixed,” Evans told The Washington Post. “The system right now, in order to do the maintenance that needs to be done, cannot be done on three hours a night and on weekends. It just can’t.”

The Metro closed for almost 30 hours on March 16 to check the cables after a fire in the system that week, costing WMATA $2 million.

Evans said that Metro’s General Manager Paul Wiedefeld will make the final call on which line will be shut down.

At the same meeting, Wiedefeld said “I’m keeping all my options open” about fixing the Metro, The Post reported.