Foggy Bottom Council member snags job at law firm with city lobbyists

Ward 2 Council member Jack Evans, pictured at a  Foggy Bottom Association meeting last year, now works at a law firm along two D.C. lobbyists . Max Sall | Hatchet Photographer
Ward 2 Council member Jack Evans, pictured at a Foggy Bottom Association meeting last year, now works at a law firm along two D.C. lobbyists . Max Sall | Hatchet Photographer

The Foggy Bottom Council member’s new job could turn out to be a conflict of interest for his legislative job.

Jack Evans, the D.C. Council member for Ward 2, accepted a job at the law firm Manatt, Phelps & Phillips in October, where at least two D.C. lobbyists also work, Washington City Paper reported Tuesday.

The lobbyists at the new firm, John Ray and Tina Ang, work on issues like the Pepco and Exelon merger and with major D.C. figures including D.C. gasoline mogul Joe Mamo and other developers, according to documents reviewed by Washington City Paper. Ray is a partner at the firm and a former at-large Council member, the paper reported.

Tom Lipinsky, a spokesman for Evans, said in a statement to Washington City Paper that Evans plans to avoid conflict of interests in his new job. Councilmembers are allowed to hold positions outside of their city jobs.

Evans had previously worked at another firm, Patton Boggs, until January of last year in addition to his $133,000 per year job on the Council. He makes an additional $60,000 annually from Manatt, the paper reported.