Q&A with Pat Green

This post was written by Contributing Culture Editor Regina Park.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQiJ3WXtX1k

Pat Green is one country star who’s done it all in his 20-year-long career, and now he’s back from a hiatus to perform songs from his new album Thursday at one of his old haunts: the 9:30 Club.

It’s been a rocky road for Green. First revered for his fresh new take on country, Green was accused of selling out after he signed on with Universal Record/Republic in 2001 and went on to break Top 20 in country music numerous times.

In 2012, Green took a break to return to his Texas country music roots and produced his newest album “Home,” his first album in three years. We talked to Green about his return to D.C.

Responses have been edited for length and clarity.

Hatchet: What’s the difference between playing here and playing in Texas?

Green: I really don’t think of it that way to be completely honest – I play the same show whether it’s 10 or 10,000 people. The fun thing about playing in D.C. is that I can take a walk on the Mall and maybe go over to Georgetown after.

Hatchet: How has it been touring after a three-year break?

Green: I haven’t put out a record in three years but I don’t think I’ve ever stopped touring. I haven’t been on a big giant tour in a while, but I love big shows and little shows.

It feels great because the crowd has got energy, and I don’t think we’ve ever done a show that hasn’t sold out at the 9:30 Club.

Hatchet:
How has the country genre changed from when you first started?

Green: It’s changed a lot. When I started everyone wanted stuff that was more real, less produced, more storytelling and just a little easier to relate to. We put out 13 records during that time but now it seems to have gone back – it’s a lot more about the show and the big sounds and music like that.

Hatchet: What’s the difference between Texas country music and country music generally?

Green: I’ll go with the old adage: “if you wanna know if somebody’s from Texas or not, they’ll tell you in the first 10 minutes.” Texans are so proud to be Texans and that is a pretty universal feeling around here. We’re from Texas and we do it this way. Good or bad, right or wrong it doesn’t really matter to me.

What would jazz be without New Orleans, what would the blues be without Chicago? Music comes from culture and Texas has a hell of a lot of culture.

Hatchet: What’s your personal favorite song from your new album?

Green: Probably “Home”. There’s also one called “Right Now” that I wrote about when my wife and I broke up, back when we were just boyfriend and girlfriend. That was a very emotional song to write.

I think this record means more to me than any record I’ve done and that’s saying a whole lot.

Hatchet: What advice do you have for students who want to follow in your footsteps?

Green: Never define yourself as country or alternative or rock. Let the people define you. Just write your music, record it, and put it out there.