Weekend Outlook

This post was written by Hatchet staff writer Liz Provencher.

Grab your popcorn and your friends – it’s that time of year again.

That’s right, the 87th annual Academy Awards officially kick off this Sunday, but you can get a head start on preparations this year by speaking with critics and acclaimed directors (will Leo finally get an Oscar this year?), or just glamming up for D.C.’s very own Oscar party.

Friday

Winter Ice Wonderland
Imagine this: an avant-garde photo shoot with artist Jonn Marc using two models draped over fur throws as live canvases – and all this inside of a lounge “white like a winter wonderland.”

Sound like your kind of scene? Then you should check out L2 Lounge’s Winter Ice Wonderland this Friday and watch Marc work, take a picture with the models, test out new moves with a belly dancer or just dance to the DJ’s electro-house beats.

L2 Lounge. 3315 Cady’s Alley NW. 7 p.m. Tickets cost $22.

Saturday

“Ashes and Embers” film screening and discussion
For the first time ever, “Ashes and Embers” – Halie Gerima’s landmark 1983 film on a troubled African-American Vietnam veteran – will be released in the U.S.

Ava DuVernay , best known for directing Oscar-nominated “Selma,” is distributing the film through her production company. DuVernay will participate in a discussion after the screening.

Natural History Museum. 10th Street and Constitution Ave NW. 7 p.m. Free!

Sunday

Oscars preview with Ann Hornaday
Before tuning into the Academy Awards, be sure to head over to the Newseum to get predictions from one of Washington Post’s best film critics. Ann Hornaday will be discussing some of the best, and worst, films of the year and giving her insider’s take to the poor souls outside of the film industry. Short clips of each movie will be provided, so don’t worry if you haven’t seen every nominated flick.

Newseum. 555 Pennsylvania Ave. NW. 2:30 p.m. Free, with Newseum admission.

Red Carpet Oscars Party
Get decked out in your glitziest gown or sleekest suit and celebrate the amazing talent in film this year. You might take home an award yourself if your clothing choices are up to par – the Red Carpet Oscars Party will include awards for the best dressed of the night.

The Washington Film Institute & Art Soiree is hosting the event, complete with appetizers, cocktails and, of course, a plethora of flashing cameras as you glide down a real red carpet. Mingling with friends is recommended while the Oscars are shown on multiple screens at the venue.

You can also leave with a prize if you predict the winning movie in several categories.

Malmaison. 3401 Water St. NW. 7 p.m. Tickets range from $45 to $55.