Weekend Outlook

This post was written by Hatchet reporter Dana Pilotti.

Between Mardi Gras and Superbowl events, there are plenty of reasons to have fun and go a little crazy this weekend. Midterms aren’t for another few weeks after all.

Friday

Fresh to Death

Throwback! Get your groove on to your favorite 90’s jams in a “Funky Fresh” way as DJ Carrie Nation and DJ Jennder welcome back 90s hip hop/pop/R&B.

Black Cat. 1811 14th St NW. Doors at 9:30 p.m. Tickets $5, available night of show.

Chinese New Year: Shenzhen Pop Music Show

Celebrate Chinese New Year all weekend long with various events at the Kennedy Center. The festivities kick off Friday night with a pop music show featuring artists like Jam You and Too Phat. The Chinese New Year celebrations continue throughout the weekend with family-oriented activities on Saturday and a performance from the Shenzhen Lily Girls’ Choir on Sunday evening.

The John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts. 2700 F St NW. 6:00 p.m. Free admission.

Saturday

Mardi Gras Fest

Transport yourself to Bourbon Street for this four-day New Orleans-style festival. Guests will experience carnival decorations, Cajun-style cuisine, a photo booth, and a funk band performance on opening day. The revamped menu and cocktails reflect all things NoLa with frozen Irish coffees, red beans and rice, hurricane slushies and of course, beads. The party carries through the weekend with happy hour all day on Sunday and live music from 7 p.m. to 11 p.m. on Fat Tuesday.

Black Jack. 1612 14th St NW. Doors open 3:00 p.m. Saturday.

Comedy Show-queso

This local comedy show offers a unique incentive for you to get out there and view the performance: a complimentary cheese hour. Hosted by Michael Summers, this performance features some of D.C.’s favorite comics including Natalie McGill and Jamel Johnson as well as a cheese hour before and after the show.

DC Improv. 119 Bloomingdale Court NW. 9 p.m. show. $5 suggested donation.

Sunday

Super Bowl Sunday Party

Cheer on the Panthers or the Broncos in this cozy hipster hangout – or just enjoy cheap food and drinks. DC9 offers five TVs and a big screen projector to view Super Bowl 50, and they’ll be running happy hour specials all night. Discounts include half-price appetizers and $3.50 Bud and Bud Light bottles. The event is ages 21+.

DC9 Nightclub. 1940 9th St NW. Doors at 4:00 p.m., Game at 6:30 p.m. Free admission. 21+