Sweetgreen upgrades its layout to better serve college students

Paige James | Hatchet Photographer
Paige James | Hatchet Photographer

This post was written by Hatchet reporter Danielle Zukoff.

You may have noticed after you returned from break that Sweetgreen looks very different than how you’d last left it.
The popular salad restaurant at 22nd and I streets has some upgraded digs: the color scheme is cleaner and brighter, the bathrooms are remodeled and the layout is more open and spacious.

Managing Supervisor Claude Bansby said the revamp was intended to make the restaurant better suited for college students, who provide the majority of their business. Typically, students pour into Sweetgreen at night for dinner, and there were complaints that the restaurant was “too bunched up,” Bansby said.

“They [Sweetgreen officials] were constantly trying to make more space and make it more convenient for the college students to come in here and feel more comfortable and welcome,” Bansby said.

Bansby added that employees enjoy the fact that more space allows for easier cleaning and less mess.

While most of the renovations to Sweetgreen had positive effects, there is one thing that customers aren’t so happy about: frozen yogurt is currently unavailable.

“We’re trying to figure out how to get the froyo machine back in here and I’m always keeping people up to date,” Bansby said.

In the meantime, however, you may want to reconsider getting your salad and spend some more time in the upgraded, modern space.

“It’s not just a place you can come eat a salad. It’s a place you can talk with your friends and come to study,” Bansby said. “ It’s like a lounge now.”