SA president nominates EVP replacement

This post was written by Hatchet reporter Sage Wylie.

Student Association President Andie Dowd nominated the SA’s vice president for judicial and legislative affairs, Zack Speck, to replace former executive vice president Casey Syron this week.

The senate must confirm Speck’s nomination with a simple majority vote, Dowd said, and will vote its next meeting on Monday. If Speck, who is a senior, is confirmed by the senate, he will serve until the newly elected executive vice president takes over in May. SA elections will be held on March 9 and 10, the Joint Elections Committee announced Tuesday.

Syron resigned Friday, citing personal and health reasons.

Speck said he hopes to continue to work on similar projects to Syron, including finding ways to cut costs for students and working with administrators to keep student space on the first floor of the Marvin Center.

“I hope to continue the work Casey’s already started. It’s a little late to do anything new and crazy, but I hope to just complete those tasks or the ones that we can complete. I want the Senate to remain as productive as possible,” Speck said.

Speck said he felt confident that the senate would confirm his nomination Monday. He said he is “familiar with the bylaws, rules, everything” and expects to serve until May.

Dowd said she nominated Speck, who’s served on the SA for three years, because he has experience with both the senate and the executive branches. Speck also served as the president of the JEC during last year’s elections.

“He sees over constitutionality during senate meetings, so he has a great understanding of the senate,” she said. “He’ll be an asset in meetings with administrators.”