Global bachelor’s degree program to start this fall

Former Provost Steven Lerman oversaw the original creation of the undergraduate global degree program, which GW will launch this fall. Hatchet File Photo.
Former Provost Steven Lerman oversaw the original creation of the undergraduate global degree program, which GW will launch this fall. Hatchet File Photo

GW students will be able to study abroad in at least two semester-long residencies as part of a new global degree program starting this fall, the University announced Wednesday.

The new degree program, which has been in the works for several years, will allow students to study abroad at Fudan University in Shanghai, China, as well as a chosen second location. Students could take a third semester abroad or pursue an international internship over the summer.

Freshmen in certain programs in the Columbian College of Arts and Sciences, the School of Business and the Elliott School of International Affairs will be invited to apply to the program this semester. The program will be capped at 30 participating students.

“The new Global Bachelor’s Program will immerse students in a reservoir of firsthand learning experiences—unique opportunities to connect and comprehend the philosophies and foundations of those living beyond our borders,” Ben Vinson, the dean of the Columbian College, said in the release. “I’m thrilled to be part of ushering in the first cohort of students to this program.”

The first group will take a one-credit preparatory course on the Foggy Bottom campus before spending the spring semester at the partner university in China.

Steve Suranovic, an associate professor of economics, is the program’s inaugural faculty director and will teach a course in China.

“Part of what this new program is designed to do is intensify the experience for students abroad,” Suranovic said in the release.

After students finish their semester at Fudan University, they will have the choice of where to spend another semester.

Former Provost Steven Lerman originally launched the idea of a global degree program as part of the University-wide strategic plan’s goals for internationalization. That version of the program that would partner with campuses in France and China was shelved in 2013 due to a lack of admissions recruitment or plans for revenue. Recruitment for the global degree program in the Columbian College began last year.