Plan your 2016 year in culture

Going back to school in the bleak month of January can be a rough re-entry, so plan ahead. If you book tickets now to these five upcoming events, you’ll have more fun days to look forward to instead of dreaming about spring break. From concerts to book talks, we’ve got you covered with the best upcoming attractions to mark on your calendars.

February

Start your year of culture off with some intellectual insight from A. O. Scott, the film critic at “The New York Times,” as he visits the Politics and Prose Bookstore to discuss his new book “Better Living Through Criticism: How to Think About Art, Pleasure, Beauty, and Truth.” You will enjoy this event if your favorite part of watching movies is discussing them afterwards.

Politics and Prose Bookstore
Feb. 11
Event is free, book costs $28

Get out of the February slump by enjoying some comedy from David Cross. Returning to the stand-up stage after a six year hiatus, you may know Cross from his roles on “Arrested Development” and “Mr. Show.”

Warner Theater
Feb. 19 $35

March

Spring break may be over already by this point but you can still have a fun night out in March at Rihanna’s Anti tour with special guest Travis Scott. Here’s hoping she will have released a new album by then.

Verizon Center
March 22 Prices starting at $35

April

You’ll need a final inspirational push to make it through finals at this time and what better person to deliver this to you than recent-tween heartthrob-turned-serious-adult-hitmaker Justin Bieber. With upbeat hits like “Where Are Ü Now” and “Sorry,” you can dance the finals stress away.

Verizon Center
April 29 Prices starting at $50

June

If you’re staying in the District this summer, give yourself a break from your internship and check out another former teen star turned adult hitmaker: Selena Gomez. With danceable songs like “Me & The Rhythm” and “Hands to Myself,” you are guaranteed to have a fun start to the summer.

Verizon Center
June 4 Prices starting at $30