Gelman Library to begin construction for Churchill collection

Gelman Library's first floor will undergo renovations starting Dec. 21 to add a center dedicated to Winston Churchill. Hatchet file photo by Dan Rich | Contributing Photo Editor
Gelman Library’s first floor will undergo renovations starting Dec. 21 to add a center dedicated to Winston Churchill. Hatchet File Photo by Dan Rich | Contributing Photo Editor

Updated: Dec. 18 at 11:36 a.m.

Construction on Gelman Library’s first floor will start Dec. 21 to add space for a collection dedicated to Winston Churchill’s “engagement diary,” according to a University release.

The National Churchill Library and Center is set to open on the first floor of Gelman Library in 2016, according to the release. University Librarian Geneva Henry said the center is the first permanent home for the study of Churchill in D.C.

“We are delighted to receive this fantastic record that gives us a window into part of Winston Churchill’s life during World War II,” Henry said in the release.

The collection contains Churchill’s writings, research, letters and other memorabilia. The Churchill Center, which started a partnership with GW in 2011, pledged $8 million but gave GW $2 million, though Henry has declined to comment on how much the construction will cost in total.

Earlier this semester Henry said the first floor renovations would add more student space and areas for University-hosted events.

The library’s entrance was moved from H Street to Kogan Plaza in 2012 and the second floor was renovated at the time to add updated furniture, computers, a multimedia center and an outdoor patio.

This post was updated to reflect the following correction:
The Hatchet incorrectly reported that the collection will include other Churchill-related memorabilia. The collection is for Churchill’s engagement diary. The center is first in D.C., not the U.S. The Churchill Center pledged $8 million but gave Gelman Library $2 million. We regret these errors.