Serving the GW Community since 1904

The GW Hatchet

AN INDEPENDENT STUDENT NEWSPAPER SERVING THE GW COMMUNITY SINCE 1904

The GW Hatchet

Serving the GW Community since 1904

The GW Hatchet

NEWSLETTER
Sign up for our twice-weekly newsletter!

GW turns off hot water in Lafayette Hall after carbon monoxide leak

Lafayette Hall was evacuated Tuesday night when the boiler room was found to contain carbon monoxide. Katie Causey | Photo Editor
Lafayette Hall was evacuated Tuesday night when the boiler room was found to contain carbon monoxide. Katie Causey | Photo Editor

GW evacuated Lafayette Hall Tuesday night because of carbon monoxide in the building’s boiler room, a University spokesman said.

University spokesman Kurtis Hiatt said in an email at about 9 p.m. that employees “discovered” a repair must be made to the building’s water heater, located in the basement.

“That means that no water is currently being heated in the building, which will impact the sinks and faucets in rooms, as well as the laundry facilities,” Hiatt said.

The University has called a contractor to fix the water heater. Hiatt said officials hoped to have hot water in the building again Tuesday evening.

Students were evacuated from the residence hall at about 5 p.m. on Tuesday. D.C. Fire and EMS was on the scene because the alarm that went off in the building, D.C. Fire and EMS spokesman Tim Wilson said. Students were allowed back in the residence hall about 20 minutes later.

Hiatt said GW will update Lafayette Hall residents when there is more information available.

More to Discover
Donate to The GW Hatchet