Rapper K Camp returns to D.C., supports Kanye 2016

Rapper K Camp returns to D.C. Nov. 13 to perform at Echostage with EDM group GTA. Photo courtesy of Diwang Valdez for Motion Family.

Updated Oct. 13, 2015 at 4:43 p.m.

This post was written by Hatchet reporter Joseph Konig.

K Camp, the Atlanta rapper known for hits like “Cut Her Off”, featuring 2 Chainz, and “Comfortable”, will be performing alongside EDM duo GTA at Echostage on Nov. 13.

On Thursday, 25-year-old rapper, born Kristopher Campbell, dropped his mixtape “You Welcome.” After a series of mixtapes and features last year, K Camp signed with Interscope records and, in September, he released his debut album “Only Way is Up.” The rapper has also been featured in the XXL Magazine 2015 Freshman Class as an up-and-coming artist.

We spoke with K Camp about collaborating with 50 Cent, his 2016 presidential pick and his favorite kind of tea.

Responses were edited for length and clarity.

Q: Just this year you were an XXL Freshman. You dropped a mixtape. A full blown album with a features from Snoop Dogg and T.I. Another mixtape you literally dropped just last night. Two singles in the top 100. So what’s it been like? How does the rise of K Camp feel?
A: How has the rise felt? Its felt good, you know what I’m saying? We’ve been putting out a lot more music. There’s been a lot more progress going on. And we still trying to apply a little more pressure. You know, I don’t feel accomplished yet. We still working.

Q: Last night you dropped this new mixtape, “You Welcome,” with features from 50 Cent and Akon. Tell me how that happened.
A: ‘Kon is a good friend of mine. I’ve known ‘Kon for a couple years now. Through my manager, we linked up with 50 and he wanted to get in on the remix. I ain’t gonna deny no 50 verse. He snapped, though. We made that happen ASAP. We put that together last minute on the “You Welcome” tape. That wasn’t even supposed to go on the tape.

Q: What’s next?
A: Yeah, we on tour now with GTA. The EDM tour right now with GTA and my tour at the top of the year. I’m gonna drop another “K.I.S.S. 3” project in December. Probably another project at the top of the year with my producer Bobby Kritical.

Q: You dropped your debut album in September, when’s the next one coming up?
A: Ain’t no tellin’ the date on it yet, but I know we gonna start working on it in December. We got to get back in the lab and start cooking though.

Q: You’re going on an international tour next year?
A: Yeah, that’s the plan. What we’ve got up our sleeves is, we got the EDM tour and then the international tour. My first overseas tour.

Q: Is this gonna be your first time in D.C.?
A: Nah, I’ve been in D.C. many times. The love in D.C.’s crazy. This is my first time in D.C. for an EDM show.

Q: This is a very political city. Who do you have in 2016?
A: Kanye.

Q: In the intro to “You Welcome,” you put out a number for fans to call you and let you know what they think, to thank you. Did you get some cool voicemails?
A: That thing got backed up. Somebody tried to hack it too. It got so backed up somebody tried to hack it, but I got over like 500 voicemails of people saying I’m the sh-t. So salute to them.

Q: On an interview you did with Sway in the Morning back in February, you were drinking some tea. What’s your tea of choice?
A: Green tea. I like to get my smoke on.

This post was updated to reflect the following correction: A previous version of this post misspelled Kristopher Campbell’s name. We regret this error.