Philanthropist gifts SEAS two endowed professorships
By Tyler Iglesias, Assistant News Editor • July 12, 2024
SGA Senate adds two positions to executive cabinet
By Molly St. Clair, Assistant News Editor • July 12, 2024
Officials to begin HVAC, roof repairs this weekend
By Jenna Lee, Assistant News Editor • July 12, 2024

Long-time administrator named leader of parent services

Andrew Sonn has been named the director of the Office of Parent Services. Hatchet File Photo.
Andrew Sonn, a long-time University administrator, is taking over as the director of the Office of Parent Services, according to a University release.

Sonn has worked at GW for 16 years, most recently as the assistant vice president for student and academic support services. Sonn also received his doctor of education degree from GW in 2010.

The announcement comes about one week before parents’ weekend.

Sonn said in the release that he values parents’ roles at GW, and says he plans to work with them with “a personal touch.”

“GW parents and caregivers play an important role in the GW community,” he said. “Like a coach, parents should be aware of university resources to advise their students, yet parents should also allow their students to problem solve on their own and develop self-reliance, resilience and grit—attributes that will help in their career and life journeys.”

Sonn is taking over a position previously held by Rodney Johnson, the founding director of parent services. Johnson left GW in July after 30 years at the University during which he revamped Colonial’s Weekend and launched a fund for parents to visit their students on campus, in case of emergencies.

Sonn said he hopes to carry on Johnson’s legacy of “passion and commitment to GW.”

As director of the parent services- office, Sonn will lead the Parent Association Advisory Council, an elected body of 30 GW parents who lead efforts for parent involvement at the University.

As the leader of parent services Sonn said in the release that he is working to improve the office’s “communication infrastructure” and expanding social media efforts to reach more parents and caregivers online.